Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Q & A with Gail Ward Olmsted, author of Guessing at Normal

On this slightly overcast Tuesday afternoon, I have the honor of interviewing Gail Ward Olmsted!  She is the author of a Rock and Roll love story, Guessing at Normal. 
Another book written by Gail:
Gail thank you so much for taking some time to sit down with me!  I am so excited to interview you for my new blog, One Book At A Time!  Welcome!
I would love to begin by asking what made you decide to become a writer? Was there an aha moment? A special event in your life? 
A family trip to Sedona, AZ inspired me to write my first novel- JEEP TOUR. Although I always knew I would eventually get around to finishing a novel, it wasn’t until I spent time among the beautiful red rocks and blue skies, that I began to imagine just how easy it would be to chuck everything and start over in a place like that. I began to hear the main character Jackie’s voice in my head and I knew I had to start writing.

Guessing at Normal, a Rock and Roll Romance, where did you come up with the concept?  
I love how it’s not perfect by any means, they truly have struggles. Was it modeled after anyone in particular? I worked nights at a motel during my college years and I learned a lot standing behind the front desk. It was a great place to people watch!! If I didn’t have the drive to finish my education, I imagine it would have been pretty easy to fall under the spell of a larger than life rock star. Jill is a more naïve and less motivated girl than I was and James is a combination of every bad boy, hard partying rock and roller that I ever crushed on. And there were a lot!!
 



I see that you have a sequel in the works for Jeep Tour coming out soon, I can’t wait to read it! Do you have any other ideas or series in mind for future books? 
I am so in love with my JEEP TOUR sequel, which will be based in Ireland! It’s hard to imagine what will happen after that, but I can only assume that there’s another ‘romance with a starting over theme’ waiting to be written!!
 

Gail, when you’re not writing, what do you enjoy doing? 
I love to read, and travel, and read when I travel! Time with my girlfriends is very important as well and my husband and I enjoy boating whenever we can. 

Lastly, my readers would love to know more about you - college? Job? Children?  
I am a college marketing professor. I have taught for nearly 20 years, following a career in marketing in the telecommunications industry. My husband and I have been married for 31 years- we have a daughter Hayley who is 22 and a son Conor, who is 21, and three feline fur-babies- Ricky, Hope & Chloe.
 

Gail, THANK YOU so much for visiting One Book At A Time this afternoon!  I had an fun time chatting with you and helping your readers learn more about the woman behind the books!  I look forward to hearing more details about your next book when they are available!  You will have to stop by and talk some more!

You can find Gail at the following links:
Amazon
Facebook 
Twitter

HAVE AN AMAZING WEEK FRIENDS!!!

BETHANY CLARK

5 comments:

  1. I loved Gail's two books and can't wait for her 3rd one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and the books sound wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! When a character's voice becomes clear in your mind, that's when writing starts. I also relate to the inspiration that comes with a special place like Sedona. The book helps keep it fresh in mind and heart. Thank you, Gail and Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an amazing woman and author! Can't wait for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Gail and Bethany! I'll be looking for Jeep Trip!

    ReplyDelete