Sunday, September 11, 2016

Review - Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.


My Thoughts 
I was just in Target the other day and I was buying the movie - Me Before You - for my daughter and I to watch. The more I thought about it though, I had a copy of the novel at home and I really wanted to read it before I watched it. (I have yet to watch the movie yet, but I can't wait now!)
I loved every page of this book! I couldn't put it down!
The characterizations were amazing, the landscapes and backdrops as I've pictured them are breathtaking and I can't wait to watch Lou and Will come to life on the screen!
Lou has lived a pretty normal, yet somewhat sheltered, life up until she meets the Traynor family. She has worked several years at a cafe in town, she lives with her family and she really hasn't traveled much outside of her bubble. That was by choice, after an event early on in her teens that changed her forever. She never socialized with the same crowd, she never dressed the same, and she changed her identity as a whole. Some may see it as peculiar but there is a meaning behind it that is sad and somewhat haunting in a way.
Then one day the cafe closes and Lou is left without the job she has known for quite some time. She goes to the Job Center to get a job which isn't easy when you do not have any real skills or higher education so to speak. She tries many jobs to no avail and then one day she gets the call that will change her life, even though she may not know it yet.
She becomes a caregiver to Will Traynor, he was in a horrible accident which has left him permanently in a wheel chair and unable to take care of himself.
The family has hired her for 6 months, which seems odd for a person bound to a wheel chair, wouldn't she be brought on for an undefined amount of time?
She has a bumpy start when she begins, after all she has never done this type of work before. But she becomes tough and doesn't let Will boss her around.
Little by little she breaks away at his tough stubborn exterior. She is determined to make him believe that his life is worth living even if he has to re-evaluate the way in which he goes about that.
Their love story is truly magical, yet sad at times. Everyone will want the love that these two share at least once in your life if even for a brief moment in time.
Pick up your copy today, I promise you that it is worth every page turn! (Must have a box of tissues handy)
 


Drink Selection
I would live to celebrate this amazing book in same fashion the characters celebrated - with a bottle of bubbly!  
Rating 
This is one of my favorite reads of the year by far, and it is well deserving of 5 wine glasses!  Cheers!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment